I was so excited about Fife Baking Club this month. I’ve not been able to go to the last few meetings as I don’t get home in time but a change in circumstance means that I can now make Baking Club again. There’s no strict theme with our club literally just bake something and come along for a chat. No one is a professional , no one is judging you and if your cake turns out crap you know that everyone there will have been there before. If this sounds like your cup of tea then check out Fife Baking Club on Facebook . Oh and if you haven’t liked my Facebook Page come visit me https://www.facebook.com/foodgluttonsforpunishment
I decided to make my blackberry crumble slices. There was almost a case of very well done cakes as I was gossiping away to my friend and forgot they were on! I took a few pictures on the night, apologies for the terrible quality but they tasted good. Sadly I forgot to picture the yummy brownies and tiffins too.
Blackberry Crumble Slices
230g self-raising flour
250g soft brown sugar
20g demerara sugar
200g cold butter, cut into pieces
75g desiccated coconut
2 medium eggs, beaten
350g frozen or fresh blackberries
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 or 160oC (fan assisted)
- Put the flour, oats and sugar into a large bowl and mix.
- Rub in the butter until it becomes like breadcrumbs, then mix in the coconut. Take a teacup full of the mixture out and set aside.
- Stir the eggs and vanilla into the mixture and then put into a lined tin (21cm square).
- Smooth out the surface and the scatter the blackberries across. Onto of this you should spread the flour mixture.
- Bake for about 1hour and 15 minutes. It should be golden on top.
Another option would be to replace half the blackberries with some peeled and chopped apple or any fruit of your choice!